South Dakota Urban Indian Health (SDUIH) believes that proper foot care is essential in diabetic treatment. Specialized staff provides comprehensive high-risk foot care for patients suffering from diabetes helping to prevent new or more serious problems from occurring.
FOOT CARE SERVICES:
- Proper foot care is necessary in diabetic care/treatment
- Foot Care exams are part of the patient’s annual visit
FOOT CARE EXAM SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Inspection and Monitoring Mono-filament Test
- Trimming and cutting toenails
- Shaving corns and calluses (prevents skin ulcers)
- Treatment of foot ulcers, infections and in-grown toenails
- Referral to a Podiatrist (foot specialist) if needed.