South Dakota Urban Indian Health (SDUIH) strongly believes that good health is closely related with staying physically active. Both Pierre and Sioux Falls have Fitness Centers located in the clinic and are open M-F from 8:00 – 5:00 and is FREE for all SDUIH patients, over the age of 18 to use.
Fitness Center Equipment includes:
- Weight machines
- Recumbent Bikes
Healthy Eating (Teaching Kitchen)
South Dakota Urban Indian Health (SDUIH) offers personalized nutrition counseling by a contracted Registered Dietitian/Licensed Nutritionist (RD/LN). We believe that what you eat plays a vital role in helping you achieve and maintain good health.
Our Health Eating services include:
- Personalized grocery store shopping tours – where the patient learns how to shop for better selections of healthier foods.
- A complete nutrition assessment that includes the patient’s nutrition and lifestyle factors.
- Helping the patient identify practical and achievable nutrition goals
- Developing individualized nutrition treatment plans that matches the individual’s goals, lifestyle and preference.
Individual nutrition counseling is available for:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular complications
- Weight management
- Sports nutrition
- Celiac sprue
- Food allergies/intolerances
- Kidney disease
A Teaching Kitchen is available in the Pierre clinic for group or individual classes on how to prepare health meals.
Adults should perform at least 30 minutes of physical activity daily per Health.gov recommendations.
Examples of Physical Activity per Health.gov
- Walking briskly (3 miles per hour or faster, but not race-walking)
- Water aerobics
- Bicycling slower than 10 miles per hour
- Tennis (doubles)
- Ballroom dancing
- General gardening
- Racewalking, jogging, or running
- Swimming laps
- Tennis (singles)
- Aerobic dancing
- Bicycling 10 miles per hour or faster
- Jumping rope
- Heavy gardening (continuous digging or hoeing, with heart rate increases)
- Hiking uphill or with a heavy backpack